Sunday 17 July 2011

The Apprentice – what’s not to like?

The Apprentice is a necessary guilty pleasure for me, just the beginning “these are Britons best business hopes” sets the scene, a group of people carefully selected for the combination of their inherent belief in themselves coupled with a total lack of experience

We get to watch the one hour edited version of these people putting themselves through the mangle, getting difficult tasks at short notice, and having Sugar’s cohorts humming and sighing through every task

My reaction is to be annoyed by them, to point, ridicule, laugh at, condemn their lack of experience and poke fun at the crazy schemes and ill thought through business plans

But who am I to judge them? I’ve had a failed business, no clue about money management and would probably go to pieces in the pre-selection process, never mind the final interviews.  Until recently I spent two years living underground like the A-Team (although no one came looking for me)

I have a new found respect, kudos to them all (and, for what it’s worth, Tom was my choice)  Friends say I should apply, I laugh it off and pretend I’ve above it, but in truth the whole thing would scare the crap out of me

Every single person in this country could go and start their own business if they wanted to, but only a small number of people have the balls to take the risk, and those people create the jobs that the majority need, so I applud people like those on the apprentice for at least trying

- bod

No comments: